Monday, February 9, 2009

Nekked is as Naked Does...

In my quest to find the best Children's picture book I have found some good and... (well "not so good" would not really fit here because let's face it there are no Children's books that are not good, just those written by celebrities.)
Lately though it seems like there really have been quite a few good ones! To name a few of my favorite (some much newer than others)



Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs
Written by Giles Andreae
And expertly drawn by Russell Ayto
Margaret K. McElderry/ 15.95

This book is a great idea because as a kid I could not get enough of dinosaurs or swashbuckling adventures. You know someone has come up with a great combination (not like jars filled with jelly and peanut butter... yucky!) when you think to yourself "gee sure wish I had thought of it first..."


And with this same sentiment comes ...
Pete and Pickles
Written and Illustrated by the Talented Berkeley Breathed
Philomel Books/ 17.99


If you love "love stories" without the mushiness of soggy cereal then this is an instant classic for any children's picture book collection. Not going to lie, I read this one when it came into our shop, then had the children's book buyer read it aloud to me (she does this way better than I do) and she fell in love and bought a copy on the spot. Part of a friend gathering ritual now is reading this book together... side note we are all in our mid to late twenties with nary a child in sight!

Because I love an odd combination like pigs and elephants another author who has a series of books about a pig and elephant came to my attention.



Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed
Written and Drawn by Mo Willems (met him when he was wearing a beret, nice guy and nice hat!)
Hyperion/ 16.99

I've read this book to numerous people (mostly again to the 20-something crowd that I hang around) and everybody loves it. A simple story about tolerance and,- as my brother likes to say, "nekedness." What I love about Willems as an author is that he writes for everyone's entertainment. This book has a Suessian quality to it with a social message for both young in body and young at heart.

Today a book walked into the shop that I have got to say is one of my new favorites...



The Emperor of Absurdia
Author/Illustrator Chris Riddell
HarperCollins/ 17.99
This is quite possibly one of the best illustrated children's books I have seen this year. It is beautiful to look at without even reading the text, essentially everything drawn in this book has some sort of back story without any being given to the reader.

So with that said... Read on fearless readers, read on.

Peace and Love
From Just another Book Blogger







2 comments:

  1. Nice post! And what's not to love about a book that combines tolerance with nekkidness?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post!
    Chris Riddell is also one of my new favs - he writes/illustrates Ottoline and the Yellow Cat, and you know how much I love that. Can't wait to read this picture book at storytime. You picked a great one!

    ReplyDelete